herbal tonics

Renew yourself inside and out with teas and tonics that tantalize and invigorate.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

St. John's Wort tincture

St. John's Wort herb and tincture

The St. John's Wort was abundant up in the mountains this year.  I saw it growing all along the highway on our travels.  I didn't even think to take a picture on our wild harvesting trips so here is one of flowers after they were dried.

Drying St. John's Wort:  These flowers are so easy to pick and dry, multiple ways would work but I have found the easiest way for me is to throw them in a big brown paper bag, close it, label and toss them in my pantry cubby and forget them for awhile.  I prefer that so no heat is used, labor lost, or dust collected.  Of course, I live in high desert country so everything dries quickly here.

My St. John's Wort tincture is so strong now it is the darkest shade of red.  (These bright yellow flowers turn the prettiest deep reddish pink color when crushed or added to liquids and have been used as pink dye.)

Easy tincture making:  Tinctures are easy to make.  Alcohol tinctures keep the longest (3-4 years) and seem the most potent.  But vegetable glycerin or vinegar are appropriate at times and effective also.  I fill a mason jar half full of the desired herb, in this case st. john's wort, (make sure it is crushed or blended finer), then top off jar with an inexpensive 80 proof clear alcohol, I usually use vodka.  Label with name and date and store in a cool, dark place for 2-3 weeks or longer, shaking jar 3-4 times a week.  When it is dark and herby smelling, strain off the herbs with cheesecloth and bottle the tincture in dark bottles.

Uses for St. John's Wort tincture:  An eye dropper of tincture under the tongue is a fast and easy way to calm the nerves and help lift depression.  It also has a sedative and pain reducing effect which can be helpful for uncontrolled muscular twitching, nerve injuries, afterpain in childbirth.  Use externally for relief of local pains and bruises.  St. John's Wort is also used for persistent mucous problems in the lungs and bowels.

This information is for educational purposes only.  Not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any illnesses.

2 comments:

  1. What have you used this for? I just made this tonight and am hoping to help my husband with his residual nerve damage in his leg from his double spinal fusion surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be great for nerve damage and inflammation after surgery (arnica would also be good). I have gotten good testamonials back about this helping with anxiety and trouble sleeping. I combine it with passionflower tincture for a person in advanced stages of alzheimers to help calm violence and anxiety.

    ReplyDelete